Glenside Ecological Services Limited
The following details some of the recent road ecology projects Glenside has undertaken:
Turtle Road Mortality Mitigation Study
Haliburton Highlands Land Trust/ Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry
- Designed and implemented 3 year Before-After-Control-Impact (BACI) study on the effectiveness of turtle road mortality mitigation;
- Selected candidate sites based on historical observation data, wetland and road suitability;
- Developed protocol for turtle monitoring and trained and coordinated community volunteer, intern and student monitors;
- Managed and analyzed data to select control and test sites;
- Refined design of barrier wall to site specific environmental conditions and coordinated installation;
- Coordinated post mitigation monitoring;
- Conducted statistical analysis (Poisson Generalized Linear Model) on effectiveness of mitigation design;
- Applied Circuit Theory to identify Blanding's Turtle migration and road intersections for further mitigation.
Turtle Road Mortality and Habitat Fragmentation Mitigation Plan
Haliburton Highlands Land Trust/ Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry/ The Land Between
- Conducted an extensive literature review and consulted with researchers, government and NGO experts in the field of wildlife underpass design and recommended a design specific to the County of Haliburton;
- Analyzed existing observation data to identify candidate sites for road permeability improvement;
- Developed site specific turtle road mortality mitigation for candidate sites;
- Established new partnerships to facilitate the integration of road permeability improvement projects into planned road structure upgrades.
Turtle Road Mortality Mitigation Video
The following video was developed by the Haliburton Highlands Land Trust and discusses turtle road mortality, road ecology and mitigation techniques. Paul Heaven, Wildlife Biologist, Glenside Ecological Services Limited is interviewed.
2490 Horseshoe Lake Road, Minden, Ontario K0M 2K0
Tel: 705-286-3181 | Email:firstname.lastname@example.org | Web: www.glenside-eco.ca